"I think the difference between me and some people is that I'm content to do my little bit. Sometimes people think they have to do big things in order to make change. But if each one would light a candle we'd have a tremendous light"
--Sr. Thea Bowman of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration
About Thea Bowman
Thea Bowman Leadership Academy (TBLA) is a tuition-free public charter school located in Gary, Indiana. Our academies focus on providing an outstanding educational experience for grades K-12 on one beautiful campus. Thea Bowman was established by the Drexel Foundation for Educational Excellence in 2003, serving grades K-6. Each year, the next grade level was added until we reached the 12th grade. In 2007, the middle and high school campus was built. In 2020, we integrated the elementary campus into the middle/ high school campus and converted to a K-12 model.
Our Elementary School
- Leadership Training
- Annual Parent Summit
- Parent University
- Afterschool Tutoring
- Intervention/Enrichment Block
- Afterschool activities
All students will:
- become grade proficient in reading, writing, mathematical computations, computer literacy, critical thinking/problem solving.
- develop a sense of self-worth.
- develop a sense of reciprocal obligation to family, school, and their community.
- develop an appreciation for the various viewpoints, races, religions, and ethnic origins of our multicultural nation.
- develop the knowledge, skills, work attitudes and habits which will allow them to become productive members of the American global economy.