"I think the difference between me and some people is that I'm content to do my little bit. Sometimes people think they have to do big things in order to make change. But if each one would light a candle we'd have a tremendous light"
--Sr. Thea Bowman of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration
Thea Bowman Leadership Academy (TBLA) is a tuition-free public school located in Gary, Indiana. Our academies focus on providing an outstanding educational experience for grades K-12 on two beautiful campuses. Thea Bowman was established by the Drexel Foundation for Educational Excellence in 2003, K-6. In 2004, 7th grade was added. Each year the next grade level was added until we reached the 12th grade. In 2007, the junior and high school campus was built.
Thea Bowman prides itself in engaging scholars in rigorous & robust curricula and instruction, affording students a college prep curriculum, a high-quality STEM program and a plethora of dual credit course offerings.
Our Elementary School
Our elementary school (K-6) is working to become a world-class model for high performance urban schools preparing all students for academic success and leadership roles in a global society.
- Annual Parent Summit
- Parent University
- Afterschool Tutoring
- Intervention/Enrichment Block
- Afterschool activities
Contact us at 219.883.4826.
- All students will become grade proficient in reading, writing, mathematical computation, computer literacy, critical thinking/problem solving.
- All students will develop a sense of self-worth.
- All students will develop a sense of reciprocal obligation to family, school, community and their country.
- All students will develop an appreciation for the various viewpoints, races, religions, and ethnic origins of our multicultural nation.
- All students will develop the knowledge, skills, work attitudes and habits which will allow them to become productive members of the American global economy.